October 18, 2011

I should be tired...

I worked really hard today (moving furniture and boxes from one part of the house to another), and only had two hours' sleep last night.  I know what kept me up last night:  this blog.  I had to set up everything here and get at least a ghost of a presence on Facebook and Twitter.  However, the best place to reach me is right here on Blogspot.


But why can't I sleep tonight, again?!


A bunch of questions for my as-of-yet nonexistent readers (you'll get here; I just know it):  What exactly keeps you awake?  A song that won't leave your mind?  Worrying about the state of your finances?  Those pointless little thoughts that just won't shut up?  A snoring bed-partner?  Instant nightmares?  


There are so many things that keep me awake, it's as though they're taking turns.  I also wonder who else out there is grateful for what they've taken to be a bit of sleep, only to look at the clock and find three minutes have passed.  Have you ever counted down the moments you have left to lie awake in bed before you've got to get up and be functional for work/school/your kids?  Have you ever "accidentally" nudged/coughed your partner awake because you've been staring at the ceiling for hours and you're feeling lonely?


I have listened to many audiobooks in an attempt to drift off, because in general, my taste in music isn't exactly soothing.  When I was a kid, I fell asleep to recordings of "Lights Out", "Inner Sanctum", "The Shadow", "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and dozens of other absolutely wonderful radio broadcasts from my father's childhood.  As a child, that worked just fine.  I could replay the episode the next day and catch up on what I'd missed.  


However, as an adult (and former writer), audiobooks just don't do it.  I've listened to the entire unabridged Harry Potter series (snigger if you will) dozens of times, and that's sort of the problem.  I've gone beyond the point of enjoying Rowling's storytelling ability (her strong suit) and, depending on which version I've chosen, Jim Dale's characterizations and generally skillful performances.  At this point, I could probably write a book about all the subplots, hidden messages, life stories of the lesser characters, as well as wincing every time I hear the single incident where reader Jim Dale mispronounces "apoplectic."*  Now, that sort of thought process, even to me, seems a bit...crazy.
* No, I will NOT tell you when he mispronounces it.  My obsession is bad enough!


Yes, I have tried white noise machines.  I can generally hear precisely where the cycle ends, and my yappy little brain anticipates the moment and will not let me relax.  To make matters worse, I can't simply have silence.  My mild tinnitus is irritating enough, but my husband's catastrophic case of the same makes a quiet room downright painful for him.  You can read his story, which he'll tell at his own pace (and  probably in a much more organized manner than my ramblings) over on beat-tinnitus.blogspot.com.


As always, feel free to submit your comments below.


Good health to you and your families, and until next time, I am:
InsomniAmy


Though this blog will be updated regularly, you can find me elsewhere:
@InsomniAmy on Twitter; Insomni Amy on Facebook; InsomniAmy on G+; private questions can be directed to InsomniAmy@gmail.com (please be patient while waiting for a personal reply, though!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy,

    I love your blogging style - very easy and entertaining. Keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Any questions or comments? I'd love to hear from you. All comments are reviewed prior to posting, so don't think your post has vanished simply because it doesn't appear immediately. Any language that is deliberately hostile or uses unsuitable language for a general audience (technical talk is fine, of course) will NOT be posted. I understand that many of you are probably feeling very frustrated by your situations, but I'm trying to keep this a helpful, friendly forum for everyone. Thanks!